The Evolution of Hotmail
Sending and receiving or in other words emailing has become a part aparcel of today’s life. Checking your mail now a days does not seem a lethargic activity but it was not always the same. The appearance of Hotmail on the forefront has brought a lot ease in our lives. Prior to it, the only way to access an email account was by downloading it on your own computer. Since its launch as the first free email service on web, to its evolution to Windows Live, through the acquisition of Microsoft at the end of 1997, Hotmail has experienced rapid growth and a series of transformations, dealing with the competition, to maintain its market position.
The concept of Hotmail was conceived by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith, graduates of Stanford University. In late 1995 these fresh graduates begin to work on an idea of being able to communicate without their emails being seen by the computer owners or companies they work for. In short, the notion of privacy was something that was missing prior to the development of Hotmail. That is one the reason why it became a hit after its launch.
Their basic idea was to create a system of secure, free and simple email, something which could be accessible from anywhere, any computer given that the computer has internet connection. The main problem after conceiving the idea was to generate at least $ 300,000 to create the initial version of the email program they had been working on for so long. So, the biggest problem of the time was who would sponsor such an idea. This resulted in them contacting different sponsors.
Po Bronson in his book The Nudist on the Late Shift: And Other True Tales of Silicon Valley maintains that Bhatia offered his project to 19 firms of venture capitals, with no result, until one day he met with Draper Fisher Jurvetson. They reached to an agreement according to which Jurvetson agreed to sponsor the project, by giving $300,000, in exchange of 15 percent shares in the profit of the new company.
Afterwards, Bhatia and Smith resigned their jobs at Apple and opened an office in Fremont, California. They rejected Doug Carlisle’s offer of investment of $100,000. Instead of taking loan from a him they took a loan from bank because they didn’t want to relinquish control of the company that no doubt would become a great success one day.
Carlos Enrique Lopez maintains in his article that “the free email service added the ability to register accounts in different languages like French, German, Portuguese and Spanish, among others.” Apart from this, the use of Passport as part of the Microsoft network, enabled Hotmail users make use of other services, including instant messaging. Moreover, to become part of the Microsoft family, “Hotmail gradually changed its appearance” and lost the traditional logo of the red stamp inclined figure coordinate and parallel, representing the world map in motion.
As it was a first experiment of its kind so, it was bound to have some problems. Perfection comes with time and that is what has happened in case of Hotmail. It was not always as secure and somewhat perfect as it is today. In its initial days it suffered a lot of criticism because of it. Lopez in his article talks about it, “Hotmail had quite a few problems, on different occasions people would hack accounts” so the company encountered a lot of weaknesses in its system. Such as, in 2000, June, as ElenoraRabinovichen Terra says, “Hotmail users were victims of a bad joke, when they began to receive emails, “allegedly sent by company executives, who requested them disenrolled their email accounts because the service was stuck, by the large number of users.”
One of its main strengths, is that it is attached as default user registration mail in Microsoft operating systems, it has also been its main weakness, coupled with competitive pressure. At first, Hotmail’s strongest rivals were AOL and USA.net. Currently, with companies like Yahoo and Gmail the bid is much higher. So much so, that in mid-2005, announced the launch of a new platform, Kahuana. However, Hotmail could not compete in the ability to space their mailboxes with mail services mentioned.
The journey from Hotmail to Outlook
Kahuna, launched in 2005, is what we now a days call Windows Live Mail. Microsoft announced the launch of Windows Live, on December 1, 2005, and from this, the beta version of Windows Live Hotmail was released. But at the official launch it was changed to be called Outlook. Initially mailboxes increased their capacity to 2GB, with the ability to match its competitors. However, currently they offer 5GB (at the time of writing), plus many improved features such as: use of Ajax, integrating contacts Live Messenger, Office integration, increased security and customization possibilities. Properties paralleling it to its most persistent competitors, Yahoo and Gmail.
When the service of Hotmail was first launched it includes various features such as:
• 2MB storage
• Virus scanning
• Spam filters
Later outlook included features such as:
• Skype Integration
• A “Sweep ” auto delete feature
• One-Click feature
• A two-step verification system
BY 2015 Outlook.com supports POP3, EAS and IMAP protocols.
Recently the Hotmail announced new features for the users. They are
Edit and reply
• Send huge files
• One click Filter
• Quick Views
• Active Views
• Security and Virus Scanning
•View, Edit and Share Office Documents
- Remove Spam
• Exchange Active Sync
• Hotmail Highlights
• IM and Text messaging from Inbox
• Account Expiration
• Languages available(36)
• POP access
• Real-time document Collaboration
• Search Auto-Complete
• Conversation View
• Sweep, Themes, Folders
Hotmail offers a flexible approach to their e-mails through a mobile phone, web or PC. Windows Live Hotmail is open to 36 languages which provide effective mail service, more productive and safer than previous versions. While updating an account from MSN to Windows Live Hotmail, the users can get their contacts, saved information automatically when they update their e-mail address. Sign up for Windows Hotmail can be done at website www.hotmail.com. Simply by login into their account, new customers can renew their MSN Hotmail to Windows Live Hotmail.
Benefits of Using Hotmail
Hotmail provides so much unique and different features to the users due to which it is easy for the users to access their email account without any fault and issue. It creates a user-friendly interface for the users to easily setup their email account and run in the excellent environment. It basically started as a tech support service to the users to give them a brilliant power to manage their email account and they also become able to fix any kind of problem with their email account. Hotmail support nuber is one of the most precise helping services for the users to get the solutions of their every problem which they are facing with their email account. Apart from this, there are a number of benefits of using Hotmail such as:
- Interface of your Hotmail is very easy to navigate, understand and creating your own folders provides the brilliant management of Information. The interface is similar to the modern Microsoft Outlook, which has unlimited storage, contacts management feature as well as a calendar, integration with applications like Skype, Office Online and OneDrive.
- As like many other email services, the biggest benefit of using Hotmail is having an instant access of communication with friends and relatives all across the world.
- You can get your own address book where you can add your contacts with detailed information and also get a large storage space.
- It provides free web-based email accounts to all its users and also has excellent software for filtering spams.
- It also support a brilliant feature by which you can connect your email account to your Microsoft Outlook email, so you are able to check your all messages when you are not online.
- You can import your all contacts to the list of your Instant Messenger for chatting online.
- Security is heightened for this service as the two-step verification process has been launched by Microsoft. Those who might have experienced hacking issues in the past can be surer of a secure account even if they login into their account through different devices.
- There are several modern features in the inbox that email users can make use of. For instance, colorful tagging and one sweep feature to organize clutter are some wonderful ways to manage mails and make correspondence categorization easier.
- Social media accounts can be easily checked with your account. With the integration of popular social media services, you can check updates on Facebook and other social media platforms through an account.
- Email users can use Office online that allows users to create, edit and share Office documents, spreadsheets, presentations and others. This makes it a handy feature for official email communication.
The above features are some of the benefits that users can avail of in the new accounts. For those who wish to create a new address, they can do so by logging onto the Live or Outlook domain of Microsoft. Here one can find the link to sign up for a new account for any service of Microsoft. Hence, at the time of account creation one can specify that they want the domain address for their email account.
The above points help one to understand what they stand to benefit from a email account. Those who already have a email account can enjoy these new features as well as use ID as the consolidated ID for any service of Microsoft.
For Hotmail Login account you have to visit its original website www.hotmail.com. You can also visit www.outlook.com. As already mentioned above MSN Hotmail has been changed into Outlook.com. in it your email address doesn’t change but you can also make another, new, email account through @outlook.com for forwarding emails.
Hotmail Sign up
In case you of not having an account at MSN click on the sign up option at bottom of the page. If you have the habit of forgetting your logins and password, you can avail the option “keep me signed in”. after you have got the Hotmail login you can access the outlook.com inbox which has enhanced and user friendly features
Hotmail Email Settings
The Windows Live Hotmail POP server settings to download incoming messages to your email program or to send email messages is the same as the Outlook.com POP server settings.
Use these Outlook.com settings when connecting your email client to your Hotmail account:
- Hotmail POP server address: pop-mail.outlook.com
- Hotmail POP user name: Your full Outlook.com email address (not an alias)
- Hotmail POP Password: Your Outlook.com password
- Hotmail POP port: 995
- Hotmail POP Encryption method: SSL
- Hotmail POP TLS/SSL encryption required: yes
- Hotmail SMTP Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
- Hotmail SMTP port: 587
Hotmail Email Support
It provides you assistance regarding your queries. To contact Windows Live Hotmail and Hotmail tech support. You can tell official answers by looking at the username: Windows Live Hotmail representatives have “Forum Moderator” below or “MSFT” or “Windows Live” in the name.
MSN Hotmail Email Account
When you are ready to open a new free email account at Outlook.com:
- Go to the Outlook.com sign-up screen in your computer browser and click Create Account at the top of the screen.
- Enter your first and last names in the fields provided.
- Enter your preferred username—the part of the email address that comes before @outlook.com.
- Click the arrow at the far right of the username field to change the domainfrom the default outlook.com to hotmail.com if you prefer a Hotmail address.
- Enter and re-enter your preferred password. Choose a password that is easy for you to recall and difficult for anyone else to guess.
- Enter your birthday in the field provided and make an optional gender selection if you want to include this information.
- Enter your phone number and an alternate email address, which Microsoft uses to keep your account secure.
- Enter the characters from the CAPTCHA image.
- Click Create Account.
Conclusively, the article has tried to show you the evolution of Hotmail and how to create account, login, sign up etc., on Hotmail. I hope all the queries regarding Hotmail has been answered in this article.